Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Diplomas from CPS.

Last week a PIL was filed by Dr.Arun Date against College Of Physicians and Surgeons in Parel. Lawyer representing the Petitioner claimed that CPS established in 1913 has been handing out Fellowship like FCPS and Diplomas like DGO,DFP,DOMS,DORL,DVD etc. It is alleged that CPS doesn't have Hospital,faculty or Infrastucture. petitioner have asked Court to direct Govt. to withdraw recognition to CPS.

I have failed to understand the purpose of this Petition. All the Universities for MD/MS and Diplomas,,National Board of Examination Delhi for DNB also have no Hospital of their own. they have Faculty and Infrastuctue. same is the case with CPS. For Post Graduate Degrees and Diplomas all the state Universities, National Board have CET, then Students have to apply for Post Graduate course and according to Merit List they are assigned Degree or Diploma in a Subject as per their preference ,a Teacher and Hospital where they have to do Resident Doctors post for 3 years for Diploma and 4 years for Degree. They have to write Theses under the Guidence of the Teacher and finally take the Exam. pass it to get either Diploma or Degree.

As far as I know CPS follows the same pattern. With One Teacher one Student policy adopted about decade ago, number of Post Graduate Teachers/students for Degree course of state universities and national Board has gone down. One has to have 'Teaching Expirience' to be teacher for Degree and Univ.Diploma. That is the Teacher has done Post Graduate Training(resident Posts) in Teaching Hospital like KEM,Nair etc. If one has done Registrars Post of 2 years in Cooper or Bhabha,Nanavaty,Lilavaty Hospital in Mumbai then one do not have 'Teaching Expirience' and he/she can not become post Graduate Teacher.!!.No teaching is involved as such.

CPS recognises these Doctors as their Teacher for Diploma Course and assign students to these Teachers and are posted in Hospital like Cooper Hospital,Bhabha Hospital in Bandra,Rajawadi in Ghatkopar,Bhagwati in Borivali etc etc.

Normally there are no takers for these Hoseman/Registrar posts in Peripheral Hospitals if they are not recognised for any Degree or Diploma. Resident posts of these hospitals go vacant and few that are filled are by those who are in transit or by Doctors who want a place to live in Mumbai. (All Resident posts are 24x7 with Resident qarters.) More often than not in all these peripheral hospitals patients are looked after by AMO's. and Patients care suffers. But if these posts are Recognised for Diploma by even CPS then Resident doctors doing Post Gradute courses are available,Honarary Doctors take Classes, arrange for Seminars on one Sunday in a month, and teaching for student is provided. Hospitals like Nanavaty, Lilavati,Somaiya, etc get resident Doctors because their posts are recognised for DNB and Diplomas of CPS.

If the undisclosed reason for this PIL is well known secret that all these posts are sold than this is wrong approach. unfortunatelly all the Post Graduate Degree and Diploma courses in Medicine,dental are allegedly for Sale and at present, price varies from 30 Laks to astonishing 90 Lakhs for Opthalmology and Radiology degree course. There is even 2 year Advance Booking of the Seat !!

If the Court,acting on this PIL withdraws recognition of CPS,many hospitals in Maharastra will loose resident Doctors and finally patients will suffer. Its ironic that there is News item in newspaper that panel has recommended recognition to Coaching Classes on par with College for undergraduate degree.---PK


Ruhi said...

I very much agree with ur article regarding CPS.Im also a doctor.I have completed my medical education outside india.Presently i have passed the exam by MCI and now awaiting provisional registration from them.I would be grateful to you if you could suggest me some options to do post graduation..like what are the various options in india that i can resort to.. to do my PG....Looking forward for your constructive reply...thank you.

ankush said...

im a doctor,i did my graduation from outside,now i want to do cps diploma in DCH..so give me some advice about recognise colleges..thank you.